Chief Financial Officer
Location: Morrisville, North Carolina, United States
Requisition Number: 936
Position Title: Chief Financial Officer
Founded in 1986, Worldwide Clinical Trials, Inc is the leading middle market Contract Research Organization (CRO) and highly customer centric. Founded by physicians dedicated to advancing medical science and built on an unwavering commitment to operational excellence, they are able to strategically balance science, medicine, operations, and commercial intelligence to achieve successful drug development.
Worldwide Clinical Trials takes a never satisfied approach. Tackling every clinical research program as an opportunity to demonstrate a deep commitment to each client’s unique needs. Combining therapeutic expertise – most notably in Neuroscience, Cardiovascular, General Medicine, Oncology, Real World Evidence and Rare Disease – with proactive insights and rigorous operations, they successfully manage clinical trials across more than 60+ countries.
Their mission is to foster the development of life-changing medicines by integrating clinical trial methodology, operational acumen, and efficient technology.
The CFO will formulate the strategic vision and lead the day-to-day financial operations of the Company with a proactive, hands-on approach. He/She will quickly come to know the detailed commercial operations of the organization.
The CFO will be responsible for ensuring the Company has accurate and timely financial and accounting information to evaluate the performance of, and strategically guide, the business while managing its continued growth. As the Company’s principal executive on financial matters, he/she will act as the senior management team’s financial steward, ensuring that the President, senior leadership and Board are apprised, on an on-going basis, of: current and historical financial performance, the financial impact of various Company initiatives and the projected financial results of the Company’s strategic vision.
The CFO will be responsible for the Company’s finance and accounting including the Company’s financial technology systems. He/she will also be intimately involved in the development and execution of the Company’s strategic plan, including continually evaluating processes that reduce operating expenses, drive top-line growth and margin expansion.
The successful candidate will think like a business owner and be a strategic, broadly experienced and business-minded financial executive who has managed the full spectrum of the financial function.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a PE backed multi-national professional services organization, preferably in a CRO or elsewhere in the life-sciences or biotech industry, as the Finance Leader (CFO), forging partnerships and collaborative working relationships both within the entity and with other functional leaders, Board members and other stakeholders. He/She will be well-versed and experienced in all accounting and financial functions inherent to such a role. This individual will develop strategic solutions and provide thought leadership to the President, Board, and senior leadership as well as with the financial/investment community.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Proven stand-alone CFO in a Private-equity owned global CRO, biotech, life-sciences industry with an outstanding track record of accomplishments in high-growth, process improvement and experience with businesses with revenues in range of $500M – $1BB
- Substantive, relevant and recent experience managing debt and mastery of capital structures
- Effectively balances value-creation and cost-effectiveness with meaningful use of metrics to ensure successful achievement of this balance
- Expertly balances long-term value creation with quarterly fluctuations and results
- Global expertise in a variety of economies in a highly regulated environment
- M&A experience, value capture, value creation modeling
- Drives strategic initiatives so that process, systems and people are efficient and scalable for future growth and in support of new contract wins, new customers, geographic expansion, etc.
- BS/BA degree in finance, business, economics, accounting or related subjects
- Preferably an MBA and/or a CPA
- 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in corporate finance leadership roles
- 10+ years Academy training in Accounting, Audit or Financial management
- Effectively integrates Academy Finance practices, principles and accounting training with speed, agility and long-term strategic financial goals to include debt, cashflow and balance sheet management
Executive Management and Board-Related Responsibilities
- Effectively present to and influence the BOD, investors, banks and leadership regarding the Company’s business strategy, strategic initiatives, financial results, operating performance and achievement of targets
- Develop and lead a team that is supporting the Company’s decisions in real-time, such as in contracting and driving pricing decisions and strategies
- Determine whether the Company is reaching the goals it had previously established – such as efficiency targets, transition plans, headcount changes,
Process, Systems and Design Considerations that might need attention
- Monthly PE financial reviews
- Ability to streamline and re-engineer internal processes; consistent process and systems, understands the need for consistent data
- Data accessibility and transparency so stakeholders can make informed decisions
- Excellent accounting and financial acumen, processes and reporting
- Revenue recognition and forecasting processes and skills; balances boldness and practicality
- Cost containment, management, financial and operational skills
- Understands the value and limitations of systems; a track-record of successful system implementations and optimizations
- Pricing models
- IT infrastructure and leadership
- Strategic understanding of long-term value creation vs. short-term operating management
- Growth oriented partner for when and how to grow the Company, team, account,
- Internally and externally customer focused; commercial prowess; can be client facing
- Strategically disruptive vs. disruption for disruptions sake
- Effective leader in a distributed workforce model
- Excellent people leader; builds a diverse and highly skilled team; driver, empowering and collaborative
- An unwavering commitment to ethics and uncompromising standards of business
- Loyal and steadfast #2 who stands by all shareholders
- Asks great questions rather than make assumptions
- Presents complexity in a crisp and succinct manner
- Ability to inspire confidence and work successfully with varied audiences (financial institutions, industry partners, BOD, PE partners, Company management and employees)
- Ensures Company President is fully informed and ready for anything
- Aspires to be the best CFO they can be
- High EQ controlled temperament, unflappable
- Logical and contextual, ability to strip away the noise
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a commitment to developing people
- Cross cultural communication and effectiveness
- Can get into details - and has mastery of them - but doesn’t live in them
- Works with speed and alacrity
State: North Carolina
Employment Type: Regular
Community / Marketing Title: Chief Financial Officer
We’re a global, mid-size CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents — because the path to a cure for the world’s most persist diseases is not paved by those who play it safe, but by those who take pioneering, creative approaches, and implement them with quality and excellence. We are experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs, in the best possible way.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Morrisville, North Carolina US
CountryEEOText_Description: Worldwide Clinical Trials is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.