Executive Director, Therapeutic Strategy Lead - Rare Disease - Europe - Home-based
Multiple Locations: Nottingham, UK • United Kingdom • Serbia
Requisition Number: 6295
Position Title: Therapeutic Strategy Lead, Rare Disease
Who we are
We’re a global, midsize CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents because the path to a cure for the world’s most persistent diseases is not paved by those who play it safe. It is built by those who take pioneering, creative approaches and implement them with quality and excellence.
We are Worldwide Clinical Trials, and we are a global team of over 3,000 experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs – in the best possible way.
Our mission is to work with passion and purpose every day to improve lives and we are looking for others who value this same pursuit.
What the Therapeutic Area Lead does at Worldwide
The Therapeutic Strategy Lead will serve as a therapeutic consultant to both the Business Development organization as well as the Therapeutic Area Leads. This is a cross-functional role that works across the organization and supports the sales and customer lifecycle. The role begins with supporting new customer presentations and continues through to project award. This role has a broad impact and interacts with several areas within the company, including clinical, medical, safety, program management, regulatory, technology and business development operations to jointly devise initial development strategies for new business.
What you will do
- Support TA Leader to partner with BD and Operations to create effective delivery strategies and solutions for clinical trials ranging from small complex studies to large, multi-service, multi-region studies or programs to include portfolio management, addressing the specific needs and challenges of each customer and differentiate WCT from its competitors. In partnership with Sales, Medical, Operations, and other functions, responsible for award of strategic and tactical new business to achieve annual Gross New Business targets.
- Support the assigned TAL/FAL for project centricity within the organization through enabling the project delivery team assigned to an awarded project to understand and implement the project strategy that was sold. Partner with BD and Operations to create effective and compelling delivery strategies and solutions for clinical studies or programs that incorporate and leverage WCT services and experience, are operationally feasible, and result in the award of new business. Collaborate with Sales to evaluate and manage new opportunities received from customers from receipt through to award decision. This may include, but is not limited to, standalone programs and projects, requests for information (RFI), capabilities, early engagement and partnering discussions.
- In support of TAL and BD, work with key internal stakeholders to analyze information and data that enables development of efficient and feasible delivery solutions. Contribute to the development of the budget (service fees and pass-through costs) associated with the proposed project strategy. The budget should be competitive and in line with the contribution margin targets and pricing strategy agreed with Sales, leadership, and other stakeholders.
- Support TAL and Account Director to guide and mentor assigned Project Leader through a comprehensive handover of the project strategy and facilitate their understanding so that they can confidently present the project strategy to the client and the internal stakeholders. Actively support Sales in the preparation and conduct of customer and bid defense meetings, e.g. training and preparation of the assigned project team; provide specific content; ensure presentation focus and content effectively conveys project strategy and critical win themes. Attend and present at customer meeting, or bid defense or partnership meetings, as required (based on the strategy for selling the opportunity). Work in conjunction with the Therapeutic Area Leads, Business Development and Marketing to develop commercial strategy and corresponding marketing campaigns to drive the gross business targets.
What you will bring to the role
- Remain up to date with knowledge and information that supports effectiveness as a Therapeutic Strategy Lead e.g. understanding WCT’s services, and product offerings, status and trends in assigned TA(s), innovations and advances in clinical trial methodology, and business intelligence. Broad protocol knowledge and experience. Strong understanding of other WCT functions
- Proven ability to make decisions with limited information, bringing clarity to disparate information to inform actions and drive results. Experience working productively in a pressurized environment, balancing strategic priorities and maintaining a positive outlook at work; handles feedback well and learns from it
- Comprehensive global knowledge, awareness, and practical understanding of the biopharma industry, drug development lifecycle and operational clinical trial delivery. Robust and current knowledge of scientific, clinical, regulatory, commercial and competitive landscape in applicable therapeutic area. In depth knowledge of, and skill in applying, applicable clinical research regulatory requirements; i.e., Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and International Conference on Harmonization (ICH) guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to understand customer needs, have difficult conversations with internal/external stakeholders and customers, negotiate solutions and understand impacts on the overall offering. Confident and capable in the use of technology, applications and other media e.g. databases and internet to research assess new opportunities, maintain currency of therapeutic knowledge and competitive landscape.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills, including good command of English language (both written and spoken). Strong leadership skills, ability to work with minimal supervision, and lead a virtual team in a matrix organization. Innovative and strategic thinker. Strong business acumen including confidence with financial considerations, excellent negotiation and influencing skills, and comfort working in both sales and operational environments. Flexible and able to work in situations where specifications may or may not be well defined and willing to support work in other therapeutic areas when required. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide network of individuals e.g. coworkers, managers and customers. Effective mentoring and training skills, fostering learning and knowledge sharing with colleagues
- Bachelor's degree in life sciences or related field. Advanced degree preferred, with specialization in one or more therapeutic areas and 8+ years global clinical research experience, including hands on operational delivery and/or drug development experience. Proven track record in operational delivery and/or drug development; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
At Worldwide, we balance fun with the serious business of changing lives. We have a values-driven culture that is built from the ground up. We empower our team members to treat every clinical trial like a patient’s life depends on it – because it does. Our leaders are in the trenches with you - committed to advancing science and moving mountains for our customers.
Interested in hearing more about Worldwide or our roles? Check out our careers page at www.worldwide.com/careers!
Employment Type: Regular
Community / Marketing Title: Executive Director, Therapeutic Strategy Lead - Rare Disease - Europe - Home-based
We’re a global, mid-size CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents — because the path to a cure for the world’s most persist diseases is not paved by those who play it safe, but by those who take pioneering, creative approaches, and implement them with quality and excellence. We are experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs, in the best possible way.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Nottingham, GB