Location: United States
Requisition Number: 4363
Position Title: Commercial Site Contracts Attorney
The Commercial Attorney provides expert advice and support across functional groups, including the Contract Management Team, Vendor Contracts and Site Contracts division, on legal and substantive matters relating to the industry, as well as technical and procedural aspects of the contracting process. Prepares and delivers in house legal/substantive as well as technical/contracting training and development courses.
- Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Provide expert legal and contracting advice and assistance to internal functional groups, such as Contract Management, Vendor Contracts, Master Service Agreements, and Site Contracts
- Support functional groups and provide legal review on a variety of commercial agreements including services agreements, vendor agreements, clinical trial agreements, and confidentiality agreements. Negotiate directly with sponsors, vendors and sites, as needed, to support contract teams.
- Consult with Worldwide Legal Department through regularly-scheduled meetings and on an as-needed basis to ensure consistent application of Worldwide legal positions during contracting process
- Prepare and maintain legal escalation parameters and process approved by Worldwide Legal Department
- Provide legal review of contract templates and fallback documents owned by contract management functions, draft and maintain legal templates, corporate policies, SOPS and act as an authorized signatory for company-wide contracts
- Provide legal review and guidance for clinical trial agreements and advise Site Contracts Specialists, Clinical Research Associates, Project Managers, and Project Directors on negotiation parameters for clinical trial agreements
- Review and provide support during negotiations of Sponsor and Site Confidentiality Agreement
- Serve as the escalation point for Regulatory Team in obtaining Letters of Authorization (LOA) / Powers of Attorney ( POA) for regulatory submissions and clinical study star-up activities
- Execute service agreements, clinical trial agreements, confidentiality agreements and other documents as Authorized Signatory of Worldwide
- Contribute to the preparation and review of Sponsor updates to Worldwide site contract templates or Sponsor’s site contract templates, with an emphasis on those agreements that will be signed by Worldwide, in order to minimize Worldwide liability and to optimize contract effectiveness
- Provide legal/substantive as well as technical/contracting training to various functional groups internally
- Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exercises excellent judgment in decision-making, works well independently
- Creatively resolves contract issues, works harmoniously with colleagues
- Strong analytical skills and even-keeled personality
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate legal concepts and analyses to attorneys and laypersons; ability to advise senior corporate management on consequences of various contractual provisions
- Ability to implement departmental goals and objectives
- Ability to perform collaboratively with employees in a cross-functional business environment; can appreciate global nature of business and cultural differences of employees and customers
- Works with knowledge of corporate policies and procedures, coupled with ability to identify areas needing improvement
- Knowledge of the CRO industry and its general business practices required
- Ability to prioritize client and vendor deliverables while cognizant of time zone differences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to clearly and consistently present information
- Advanced negotiation skills
- Computer literacy and confidence in working with legislation database, documents, spreadsheets and other office software
- Juris doctor degree / qualified legal attorney and at least 3 years post qualified experience as an attorney employed by either a Contract Research Organization (CRO), pharmaceutical company in a similar position, or private law firm practicing in the industry strong knowledge of general legal and contracting principles required
- Strong communication skills in English, including written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word; PowerPoint and Excel a plus
Promotion to the next level is not automatic based on years of experience. Personnel are evaluated on proven competency, level of responsibility, and ability to work independently.
Employment Type: Regular
Community / Marketing Title: Commercial Attorney
We’re a global, mid-size CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents — because the path to a cure for the world’s most persist diseases is not paved by those who play it safe, but by those who take pioneering, creative approaches, and implement them with quality and excellence. We are experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs, in the best possible way.