Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States
Requisition Number: 3224
Position Title: PRN Paramedic 1
SUMMARY: The PRN Paramedic 1 oversees study procedures, performs study procedures, and provides medical coverage as needed while subjects are in-house. He/she performs technical, laboratory, and administrative tasks following Worldwide Clinical Trials Early Phase Services (WCTEPS) procedures and study protocol requirements. The PRN Paramedic 1 works under the direct supervision and guidance of the Manager, Medical Group. He/she will provide direction and indirect supervision for technical and laboratory staff in the absence of a Full-Time Supervisor.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Always represents WCT in a professional manner (verbal written and in appearance) when interacting with sponsors, subjects, outside vendors and fellow employees.
- Under the direction of the Medical Director’s standing orders, functions as WCT medical coverage in case of an emergency for subjects visiting WCT.
- Oversees all study procedures to ensure that they are performed on time, following both the study protocol and WCT procedures.
- Acts as the primary contact for subjects while in-house when the Coordinator is not available.
- Documents all adverse events reported and observed per WCT staff or protocol requirements while subjects are in-house.
- Contacts the Medical Director, Coordinator, and/or Principal Investigator as needed.
- Indirectly supervises technical and laboratory staff in the absence of a Full-Time Supervisor.
- Performs phlebotomy on subjects as needed at timed intervals.
- Once trained, performs the following procedures per WCT guidelines and study protocol requirements:
- Vital signs,
- Serves meals/snacks,
- Collects and processes lab samples (blood, urine, and other body fluids),
- Searches subjects and their belonging when entering and leaving the facility,
- Performs skin testing for allergens,
- Inserts IV catheters,
- Performs vein ratings,
- Dispenses concomitant medications as needed and directed by the Principal Investigator,
- Performs study specific procedures and duties per protocol requirements,
- Restocks supplies
- Assists in training PRN staff and new Full Time staff
- Performs administrative work as needed (copying, filing, filling in CRFS, etc.)
- Ensures that procedures run smoothly and procedure areas are kept clean and uncluttered
- Performs procedures and disposes of contaminated supplies according to OSHA requirements
- Writes staff instructions as directed by the Technical Services Supervisor
- Sets-up and breaks-down procedure areas as needed
- Responsible for requesting, scheduling, and attending any training required for this position.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Customer service skills and be able to perform duties at a fast pace without errors.
- Good documentation and organizational skills and good attention to detail.
- Willing to perform repetitive tasks.
- Good medical judgment.
- Able to draw blood competently, as observed by the Technical Services Supervisor or Training Department staff.
- Some knowledge and skills in performing technical and laboratory procedures; experience performing phlebotomy, vital signs, ECGs and laboratory procedures.
- Medical equipment as indicated by protocol or standing orders for the care of subjects and completion of study requirements. Office equipment used for communication and general office duties. Laboratory equipment used for the processing of laboratory samples. Food preparation equipment for the use of reheating meals.
Required: Course completion in a state approved Paramedic training course. Texas Department of Health Paramedic certification or license. BLS and ACLS certification. At least 1 year of experience as a Paramedic, performing at the ALS skill level.
Preferred: 1 year working as a Lead Medic on an ALS unit for a 911 or private EMS agency. Or 3-5 years working in a clinical setting utilizing ALS skills. Clinical Research knowledge. Associate or Bachelor Degree.
Employment Type: PRN
Community / Marketing Title: PRN Paramedic
We’re a global, mid-size CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents — because the path to a cure for the world’s most persist diseases is not paved by those who play it safe, but by those who take pioneering, creative approaches, and implement them with quality and excellence. We are experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs, in the best possible way.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Antonio, Texas US
CountryEEOText_Description: Worldwide Clinical Trials is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.