Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States
Requisition Number: 1713
Position Title: Supervisor, Laboratory Services
SUMMARY: The Laboratory Services Supervisor will review study protocols and be responsible for working with a study team to set up laboratory procedures and train staff for any special collection and processing. Will lead, mentor, and train laboratory staff. Ensures the lab is fully staffed and has all the necessary tools and equipment to complete study processing. The Laboratory Services Supervisor directly supervises the Laboratory Services Assistant Supervisor, FT, and PRN laboratory staff.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Review of the protocol to plan any laboratory procedures and coverage.
- Work with Technical Services Supervisor and other appropriate staff members to research and select the most cost-efficient supplies and equipment.
- Send representation to all in-house protocol meetings and sponsor meetings as requested.
- Hire and supervise Laboratory Services Assistant Supervisor, Full-time Research Technicians, and PRN laboratory staff.
Preparation and quality control of all laboratory logs created: Blood Harvest Logs, Urine Monitor Logs, Urine Process Logs, Shipping Logs, Labels, etc.
- Set up for kinetics days to ensure that they run smoothly and per protocol.
- Ensure PRN staff is instructed about any study-specific instructions and any additional information from shift to shift.
- Set up mock trials to work out logistical issues for study-specific protocols.
- Verify and sign FT lab personnel and PRN staff timesheet.
- Responsible for full time and PRN staff evaluations.
- Coach and mentor employees.
- Discuss and evaluate performance issues.
- Project staffing needs in advance to assure adequate staffing for all studies.
- Schedule staff in the most cost-efficient manner while still meeting subject safety, study timelines and staff comfort.
- Cover study procedures or shifts as needed.
- Train PRN, part-time and full-time staff on laboratory procedures.
- Ensures all required training is completed and thorough documentation is on file before any supervised employee performs any job-related duties.
- Update and create SOPs related to laboratory procedures as needed, but at least annually.
- Responsible for ordering all lab supplies and lab equipment except medications.
- Ensure that the laboratory runs smoothly and procedure areas are kept clean and uncluttered.
- Ensure all study samples are packaged and shipped per protocol as well as IATA regulations.
- Maintain shipping schedule and staff appropriately for shipping needs.
- Assign, prioritize, and delegate tasks to ensure maximum productivity and to ensure deadlines are met.
- Complete all necessary training including SOPs, DOPs, skill verification, continuing education, and maintaining required certifications.
- Responsible for requesting, scheduling, and attending any training required for this position.
- Responsible for working with appropriate staff members on WCT health and safety training and documentation. Must ensure all WCT policies meet any current federal or state regulations or laws. This includes bloodborne pathogens, OSHA, disaster planning, etc.
- Ensure that pollen counts are performed as needed for each protocol or at least 4-5 times per week. Neat and organized documentation of these counts must be maintained and made available for all coordinators.
- Train additional staff to perform and document pollen counts.
- Ensure maintenance of the pollen counter is done as appropriate.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Required: Strong interpersonal and communication skills; excellent attention to detail; exceptional organizational and planning skills. Able to project staff, supplies, and equipment needs in advance. Needs to have good troubleshooting skills
Preferred: In-depth knowledge of the clinical research process, including Good Clinical Practices; Able to make good sound decisions under stress and with time restraints.
Required: Associates degree or at least 2 years of clinical research experience in the laboratory area. Supervisory experience.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree (preferably in the field of Medical Technology); two to five years of clinical
Other: The Laboratory Services Supervisor is responsible for planning staffing needs and equipment and supply needs for clinical trials. He or she is responsible for working with the scheduling department for contacting and scheduling staff to ensure proper coverage during the study, and to ensure that all equipment and supply needs are met. Must be able to follow written and verbal communication. Must be punctual. Must have flexible hours.
Employment Type: Regular
Community / Marketing Title: Laboratory Supervisor
We’re a global, mid-size CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents — because the path to a cure for the world’s most persist diseases is not paved by those who play it safe, but by those who take pioneering, creative approaches, and implement them with quality and excellence. We are experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs, in the best possible way.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Antonio, Texas US
CountryEEOText_Description: Worldwide Clinical Trials is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.