Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States
Requisition Number: 1296
Position Title: Pharmacist
SUMMARY: The Pharmacist, under the guidance of the Pharmacy Manager and the Site Director is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Pharmacy, ensuring that study medications are received, maintained, dosed and retained/destroyed under stated conditions and per sponsor, protocol and applicable regulatory requirements for the conduct of all clinical trials. In addition, the Pharmacist must be proficient in all pharmacy procedures and regulations and ensure training of all applicable staff. The Pharmacist works under the direct supervision and guidance of the Pharmacy Manager and the Site Director.
Tasks may include but are not limited to:
• Always representing Worldwide Clinical Trials (WCT) in a professional manner (verbal, written, and in appearance) when interacting with sponsors, volunteers, outside vendors, and fellow employees.
• Attending in-house protocol meetings and sponsor meetings.
• Meet with regulatory representatives of regulatory authorities (DEA, FDA, et al).
• Once trained, perform the following procedures according to WCT procedures and study protocol requirements:
o Drug accountability
o Temperature and humidity procedure
o Blinding procedure
o Emergency cart inventory and maintenance
o Labeling and dispensation of investigational product
o Sterile and non-sterile compounding
o Small batch manufacturing
o Quarantine of test article
o Pharmacy documentation
o IV pump training
o Train subjects and staff on special procedures, run mock procedures if needed.
• Directly supervise Pharmacy Technicians (full time, part-time, and PRN).
• Ordering of all pharmacy supplies including emergency cart items, study specific items, study specific drugs if required by protocol, and other concomitant medications which may be required to treat adverse events.
• Assist with importation of investigational drug and ensure all regulations are followed.
• Maintain clean room certifications and ensure pharmacy equipment is within calibration.
• Ensure Pharmacy Technicians and all other applicable staff are thoroughly trained on pharmacy procedures, mentored and their training periodically reviewed.
• Writing, updating and reviewing SOPs related to the Pharmacy.
• Researching, writing and training staff on study specific pharmacy procedures.
• Act as a resource to WCT staff on drug information to include possible side effects, safety and potential cytochrome interaction.
• Reviews all study randomizations prior to study start.
• Responsible for ensuring all pharmacy procedures are covered with appropriately trained staff.
• Read and follow study instructions and sign study responsibility log.
• Available by pager/phone for off-site monitoring of temperature and humidity as well as for potential emergency un-blinding procedures.
• Responsible for maintaining proper temperature and humidity conditions in all Pharmacy areas as well as temperature in any refrigerator and freezers located in all Pharmacy areas.
• Perform procedures and dispose of contaminated supplies according to OSHA requirements.
• Ensure that all pharmacy procedures are performed on time and according to the study protocol and WCT procedures.
• Ensure that pharmacy areas are kept clean and organized.
• Performing other procedures/duties not mentioned, as required by specific study protocols.
• Responsible for requesting, scheduling and attending any training required for this position.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to have a flexible work schedule to include Saturdays, Sundays, early mornings and late evenings.
• Be punctual. Arriving to work on time and dependable attendance is absolutely critical.
• Able to multitask and work efficiently while being flexible to the different types of studies.
• Must be proactive and have self-initiative to learn tasks and complete training in a timely manner.
• Must bring a positive and willing attitude to work every day and have good customer service skills.
• Remain professional and have a strong work ethic at all times, especially when engaging with clients, participants, vendors and staff.
• Positively and willingly participate in all QC and other checks of task and activities.
• Must be organized and have good attention to detail.
• Must be willing to perform duties repetitively, at a fast pace without errors and meet strict time constraints.
• Some knowledge and skills in performing technical and compounding procedures.
• Experience performing IV admixtures, and administering IV medications through the use of stationary infusion and syringe pumps.
• Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Access.
• Possible equipment use includes, but is not limited to: Laminar flow hood, IV pumps, weighing scales, computers, rolling carts, fax machine, photocopier, telephone, lab apparatus, mop/broom, needles, calculators, dishwasher, microwave, etc.
Required: Bachelors of Science Pharmacy or Doctorate Degree in Pharmacy.
Preferred: At least 2-5 years of Pharmacy experience.
Other: Possible mental demands include, but are not limited to: reading, math, intense concentration, verbal communication, participant contact, attention to detail, frequent interruptions, fluctuations in workload, and performing very strict time-dependent procedures.
Other: Possible physical demands include, but are not limited to: lifting and carrying of objects weighing 5-50 lbs., hearing, seeing, gross and fine motor use of upper extremities, kneeling, walking, standing, leaning over for extended periods of time, squatting, eye strain/fatigue, climbing, pushing, pulling, reaching, and exposure risk to potentially infectious blood and/or body fluids, and/or hazardous fumes or chemicals.
The Pharmacist will be responsible for all pharmacy technicians performing required procedures accurately and on time. It will be the Pharmacist’s responsibility to notify his/her supervisor if they are not able or are not trained to perform any assigned tasks, or of any other problems while on duty. The Pharmacist must be able to follow written and verbal communications, be punctual, and have flexible hours. The Pharmacist will have a large amount of direct and unsupervised contacts with study participants. He/she will be responsible for communicating problems, questions and/or clarifications to his/her supervisor.
Employment Type: Regular
Community / Marketing Title: Pharmacist
We’re a global, mid-size CRO that pushes boundaries, innovates and invents — because the path to a cure for the world’s most persist diseases is not paved by those who play it safe, but by those who take pioneering, creative approaches, and implement them with quality and excellence. We are experts, bright thinkers, dreamers and doers and, together, we are changing the way the world experiences CROs, in the best possible way.
Location_formattedLocationLong: San Antonio, Texas US
CountryEEOText_Description: Worldwide Clinical Trials is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.